Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2018, 12:29 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2018 12:33 PM by admin.)
Amid arranging his prom date, lacrosse practice and getting homework done, teenager Cole Mattox launched a hedge fund out of his bedroom in suburban Montclair, New Jersey. Mattox founded North Tabor Capital in March 2017 when he was 17 years old. Now, Mattox is 18, graduating from Seton Hall Preparatory School and headed to University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School of Business undergraduate program in the fall.

Teen launched North Tabor Capital hedge fund from his NJ bedroom

Walking at an average pace was linked to a 20% reduction in the risk of mortality compared with walking at a slow pace, while walking at a brisk or fast pace was associated with a risk reduction of 24%, according to a new study. A similar result was found for risk of dying from cardiovascular disease. It’s not too late to start. In fact, the benefits were far more dramatic for older walkers. Average pace walkers aged 60 years or over experienced a 46% reduction in risk of death from cardiovascular causes, and fast pace walkers a 53% risk reduction, the study found... A recent Harvard University study concluded that you could add 10 years to your life by following five habits: eating a healthy diet, exercising 30 minutes or more a day, maintaining a healthy weight — a body mass index between 18.5 and 24.9 — never smoking and drinking only a moderate amount of alcohol.

Scientists from 5 universities say doing this one thing faster could add years to your life - MarketWatch

A woman with advanced breast cancer which had spread around her body has been completely cleared of the disease by a groundbreaking therapy that harnessed the power of her immune system to fight the tumours. It is the first time that a patient with late-stage breast cancer has been successfully treated by a form of immunotherapy that uses the patient’s own immune cells to find and destroy cancer cells that have formed in the body.

Doctors hail world first as woman’s advanced breast cancer is eradicated | Science | The Guardian

Adam and Raquel Gonzales had been together for five years when he woke up one morning with no idea who she was - he had lost all memory of marrying her. But Raquel was determined to win him over again.

'I woke up and didn't recognise my wife' - BBC News

Alongside this study have come disturbing reports of the alcohol industry’s involvement in funding science that may have helped drinking look more favorable, as well as a growing worry that many people are naive about alcohol’s health effects. How many people know, for example, that as far back as 1988, the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer designated alcohol a level-one carcinogenSome say too few.. A couple of drinks a day aren’t bad for you and may even be good for you. Right?That’s been the message — from researchers, governments, and beverage companies — for decades. And as a result, many of us don’t think twice about tossing back a couple of glasses or wine or a few beers after work.
But maybe we should. Because it turns out the story about the health effects of moderate drinking is shifting pretty dramatically. New research on alcohol and mortality, and a growing awareness about the rise in alcohol-related deaths in the US, is causing a reckoning among researchers about even moderate levels of alcohol consumption. In particular, an impressive new meta-study involving 600,000 participants, published recently in The Lancet, suggests that levels of alcohol previously thought to be relatively harmless are linked with an earlier death. What’s more, drinking small amounts of alcohol may not carry all the long-touted protective effects on the cardiovascular system.

How much alcohol is too much? The science is shifting. - Vox

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2018, 09:10 AM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2018 10:27 PM by admin.)
RE: 2018
It could be just the thing for those who need a nudge to start ticking items off their bucket list; scientists have developed a blood test that reveals how long a person has left to live. The test draws on nine biomarkers found in the blood that can be used to calculate the biological age of a person’s body – that is, how old it seems from the way it functions, as opposed to how long it has been out of the womb. Researchers at Yale University in Connecticut found that the test was a more accurate predictor of life expectancy than a person’s chronological age or any of the biomarkers individually.

Is the end nigh?: new blood tests can reveal your life expectancy | Society | The Guardian

It’s considered an inescapable fact of life: the older you get, the more likely death becomes. But new research suggests that the chances of dying may level off – at least for those who make it to 105 years old. The study found that death rates, which rise exponentially in adulthood, begin to decelerate after 80 years old and appear to eventually plateau, or even decline slightly, after the age of 105. By that point, the chances of passing away in a given year are approximately 50-50.

Age 105? Then you've a better chance of living even longer | Science | The Guardian

Over the past two decades, scientists have been studying its properties and believe lupin will now have its time in the sun. "Lupin flakes have a unique combination of low-carb, gluten-free, plant-based protein and prebiotic fibres, with high levels of bioavailable essential amino acids and minerals," explains Sofi Sipsa, chief scientist for Revolupin Flakes, one of the leading manufacturers.  Sipsa, who has been studying lupin for over 20 years and has helped develop the flakes, says these properties make lupin "ideal for improving health issues arising from today's modern diet, such as diabesity, hypertension, gut health and cardiovascular health.

Lupin is the latest health-food craze – but what is it and how much of it should you eat?

Making matters worse, as the World Health Organisation points out, “Women and children often lack power to negotiate smoke-free spaces, including in their homes.” Secondhand smoke increases the chance of a non-smoker getting lung cancer by 20-30% and causes 430,000 deaths worldwide each year – 64% of which are women.

BBC - Future - Why non-smokers are getting lung cancer

Sports make the world a sadder place. Seriously. We’ve got data. Armed with 3 million responses to a happiness monitoring app, plus the locations and times of several years worth of British soccer matches, University of Sussex economists Peter Dolton and George MacKerron calculated that the happiness that fans feel when their team wins is outweighed – by a factor of two – by the sadness that strikes when their team loses.

British economists prove it: Sports destroy happiness - The Washington Post

08-04-2018, 12:08 AM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2018 11:03 AM by admin.)
Jeff Bezos is rich. That much is known. However, the scope of the Amazon.com chief’s filthy richness — with his net worth of $150 billion, by Bloomberg’s reckoning — against the backdrop of a yawning equality gap, is part of the theme of a recent article in the Atlantic. But perhaps one factoid most aggressively catches the eye in the piece: ‘[Bezos] needs to spend roughly $28 million a day just to keep from accumulating more wealth.’ The Atlantic Wow!

Amazon’s Jeff Bezos would need to spend $28 million a day to avoid getting richer - MarketWatch

Most of us have had cause to turn to YouTube for some quick instruction. It is full of guitar lessons, car-repair tips and makeup tutorials. I am a quasi-competent, if unadventurous cook. Could I teach myself to cook like a chef, using YouTube alone? I decide to spend a week trying. If nothing else, I’ll get to watch a lot of videos.

Can you learn to cook like a chef by watching YouTube? | Life and style | The Guardian

A breakthrough drug which directly targets middle-aged spread could help millions of overweight Britons to lose weight. Slimmers taking the pills lost three times as much weight as those simply trying to diet and exercise, a landmark trial found. The drug also cut the risk of diabetes by a fifth. Experts hailed lorcaserin as the most effective weight-loss pill yet, suggesting they could help the two in three adults battling weight problems. The approach could be “the Holy Grail” in the battle to combat obesity, they said.

'Holy Grail' diet pill could help millions lose weight in middle age

But for a few years, in Naples, kids aged between 10 and 19 were in charge: they decided the drug deals, the money laundering, the executions… I wanted to find out more. Did you find some positive aspects in these characters? Of course – these kids are highly talented. I interviewed the survivors in jail, and there was great humanity there. They managed zones generating up to half a million euros a weekend, selling weed, huge amounts of cocaine. Imagine a 15-year-old who has to import drugs, set a price, pay the police, pay a percentage to the locals to keep quiet. It’s like giving a 15-year-old the keys to a supermarket and saying: “Manage it.” Someone who can do that has great entrepreneurial spirit – if they’d had a legal opportunity they’d have been incredible businessmen.

Roberto Saviano: ‘I saw my first corpse in secondary school. It didn’t shock me’ | Books | The Guardian

Mexico’s weight problems have gotten worse over the past three decades, and a flood of American food and beverage imports appear to be a big part of the problem, a new study says. About 80% of the foods and drinks imported into Mexico now come from the United States, and the evidence suggests they “are particularly obesity-inducing,” according to a worker paper written by Osea Giuntella, Matthias Rieger and Lorenzo Rotunno.

Marketwatch Discover

09-15-2018, 11:24 AM (This post was last modified: 09-18-2018 10:34 PM by admin.)

After the most dramatic final in ages, this is the winners comment..

Naomi Osaka: "I am going to differ from your question, I am sorry. I know everyone was cheering for her and I am sorry it has to end like this. I just want to say thank you for watching the match. "My mum sacrificed a lot to me. It means a lot for her to come and watch my matches because she doesn't normally do that! "All we are missing is my dad but he doesn't physically watch my matches - he walks around. So I will see him later! "It was always my dream to play Serena in the US Open finals so I am really glad I was able to do that. I am really grateful I could play with you. Thank you!"

Listen to live US Open tennis commentary - Serena Williams v Naomi Osaka - BBC Sport

People don’t shout in Pontevedra – or they shout less. With all but the most essential traffic banished, there are no revving engines or honking horns, no metallic snarl of motorbikes or the roar of people trying make themselves heard above the din – none of the usual soundtrack of a Spanish city...   Lores became mayor after 12 years in opposition, and within a month had pedestrianised all 300,000 sq m of the medieval centre, paving the streets with granite flagstones. “The historical centre was dead,” he says. “There were a lot of drugs, it was full of cars – it was a marginal zone. It was a city in decline, polluted, and there were a lot of traffic accidents. It was stagnant. Most people who had a chance to leave did so. At first we thought of improving traffic conditions but couldn’t come up with a workable plan. Instead we decided to take back the public space for the residents and to do this we decided to get rid of cars.”
They stopped cars crossing the city and got rid of street parking, as people looking for a place to park is what causes the most congestion. They closed all surface car parks in the city centre and opened underground ones and others on the periphery, with 1,686 free places. They got rid of traffic lights in favour of roundabouts, extended the car-free zone from the old city to the 18th-century area, and used traffic calming in the outer zones to bring the speed limit down to 30km/h. The benefits are numerous. On the same streets where 30 people died in traffic accidents from 1996 to 2006, only three died in the subsequent 10 years, and none since 2009. CO2 emissions are down 70%, nearly three-quarters of what were car journeys are now made on foot or by bicycle, and, while other towns in the region are shrinking, central Pontevedra has gained 12,000 new inhabitants. Also, withholding planning permission for big shopping centreshas meant that small businesses – which elsewhere have been unable to withstand Spain’s prolonged economic crisis – have managed to stay afloat.

'For me, this is paradise': life in the Spanish city that banned cars | Cities | The Guardian

For Walking the City week – exploring all aspects of urban walking, good and bad – writers tell us where they walk and why.

‘Would that all journeys were on foot’: writers on the joy of walking | Cities | The Guardian