Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The 5 types of Interoil Bidders.My opinion
pickboone

Government Stake in Gulf Project

by pickboone.Dec 18, 2012 7:57 AM.Permalink

Fwiw, my belief is that the government's stake is unlikely to change much from its current 22.5% and that virtually all of the sell-down will be to the commercial partner. If I'm correct, it totally obliterates the basis for which the stock has declined 30 points in a straight line. If the government does put forth the funds for a small increased stake, it will be on commercial terms as specified in the NEC submission (leaked in the NYT article, and no contradictory evidence of this commercial terms agreement being breached). I suspect that the greater optionality of up to 50% was something that appealed to some NEC members to help push through the approval, but the reality is that the evidence indicates the government's stake will only increase in conjunction with the small amount of gas that it requires from the Project's second train.

If this is the case, a very large sell-down to a commercial partner is likely close to being consummated, and the seemingly unfathomable upside scenarios of $200+ etc.. on a blockbuster sell-down announcement to a major are very much on the table. The government does have the funding to substantially increase its stake in the Project on commercial terms through the China loan, but the scutiny on budgetary imbalances makes this unlikely. Either way, the stock is heading much higher.

jft, I agree there will be a big sell down deal, and the stock will go much higher. However, how can you sell something to someone that another party has an option on? It would appear that the new partner would have much more participation in the first LNG plant than in E/A, say buy 15-20% of E/A and twice as much of the first LNG plant, perhaps paying a large portion up front relative to the initial E/A ownership. Then, depending on how much of the option PNG exercises, the partner, or another partner, could buy more of E/A, and participate also in the second LNG phase. What about that?

Getit-I think Mitsui has to get the bid up or lose their option. Others can bring CSP and if a SM wins the IOC prize then they I would think would bring their own favorite CSP technology. The clock is ticking on Mitsui pay up boys time.

jft, that's not responsive to my questions. I don't disagree with any of that, and didn't even raise any questions about CSP or Mitsui.

Getit I am dense sorry .I miss you point I think.

No, you're not dense, jft! The problem probably relates some to the fact that part of what I'm responding to is just something you posted from pickboone. Reread that carefully along with posts on page 1 from yesterday and compare to my questions. For example, even if PNG ends up only buying a total of 25%, how would IOC keep 30% and sell 30% up front with 50% reserved for PNG?

Getit- I think the PNG govt in this PA has the option to op into or not op into the extra NG. The option expires after the PA is complete. The PA is a completed contract. So the PNG govt can get 25% , and IOC can claw back the needed amount to balance the mix between the PNG govt/IOC/future partner/ and the IPI investors.

Whoa, jft! Now you're offering something new to me: "The option expires after the PA is complete." Are you sure about that? You can have a "completed contract" with an on-going option. That would seem to indicate the necessity of completing the final PA before a sell down decision, although I had heard the latter could possibly come first, unless multiple bidders offered optional proposal percentages dependent on the PNG share. Do you have some hard available sources on that option expiration, or is that some of that "inside information" some uninformed jerks have been accusing us of getting? LOL. If that is true, that would help explain why completing the PA is taking as long as it is, with PNG having to make an irreversible decision on that percentage as part of it. I thought they were negotiating the terms on which the option could be exercised at whatever level they later decided.

I don't know more but we all know more soon.

'jft310' pid='15065' datel Wrote:I don't know more but we all know more soon.

JFT - it's not you (or your posts), but, I am becoming very sensitive about the word "soon" Smile

So, I have plagiarized (sp?) the appropriate boilerplate and/or asterisk that needs to accompany any reference to "SOON" !!!

-------------------------------

As defined by InterOil: "Soon" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon" shall make no contract or warranty between InterOil and the investor. "Soon" will arrive some day, InterOil does guarantee that "soon" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "soon" as InterOil will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "soon."

-------------------------------

"soon" will be here before the end of time" -- hot dog, we'll have a deal by 12/22/2012 (per the Mayan Calendar!!)  Smile