Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting read on Chandler
Anyone who has not should take the time to read this 13-page piece on the Chandler brothers and how they got started and what their investment philosophies are. It was written several years ago while they still had the joint Sovereign Fund, but it is one of the few times the Chandlers have given interviews. Gives you some ideas on why Richard has decided to buy in so heavily on IOC:
http://www.richardchandler.com/publications/S_Sov.pdf

Started with $4 million 20 years later $4 Billion not bad.

Interesting read on the Chandler's. Think they can go into PNG and clean up the way the politicians have scared the bejeezus out of investors and potential investors? My guess is they are not looking for a 10% per year return over the next 3-5 years....more like 5 bagger
L Ron Rules!

Where they have been successful most consistently it has been with seeing the extreme value in companies in the right position to capitalize on current or near-term trends. When they have taken on countries, they have been mildly successful. A very positive thing is that they have been highly involved with 2 energy companies; Gazprom and SK. One of our offtakes is with Gunvor who is somehow connected to Gazprom, and SK is involved in (I believe) both Peru LNG and Yemen LNG, and he is of course a big investor in EWC.

So I would guess RC is strictly after IOC and if he gets EWC also, he hits it very big. He's a New Zealander and is fully aware of PNG's political mess. Knowing what he knows I would guess the last thing on his mind is to try and help PNG evolve. Too much pain and effort, and no payoff is worth what would take the rest of his life, or shorten it greatly.