Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IP - midnight ruminations
I smiled hopefully at what you all have ventured on the definition of "roof". But on a slightly different note. I know that PNG argued for IP included and I think ultimately got in their 15-30℅ agreement. My take is they wanted downstream $$ if Nautilus becomes a purveyor of their seabed mining processes etc instead of continuing as an an actual mining company after proof of concept in PNGs waters. I do not believe PNG wanted it so they could use it to "do their own thing".

On the other hand, China is known for (shall we say) " lifting" IP from businesses and ignoring the restrictions that IP grants. Will Fijian Mawei not be granted a really close look at that proprietary information as they build and integrate the PSV? And are they not also actively pursuing their own ability to successfully mine the lucrative seabeds of the world?

If these premises are correct, how does Nautilus keep their proprietary information safe? Or are all of the projections I saw on the last thread only assuming that Nautilus can bring up a lot of ore and secure a huge dowstream pipeline of mining sites before the next market entrant (who may have used Nautilus IP to fast track into the market) becomes competition? They negotiated long and hard with PNG to not give up access to the IP (delaying our first ore rewards significantly). So they must prize that information.

But how to keep the Chinese from just duplicating the PSV and ordering the mining equipment from the same suppliers who also collaborated and used the Nautilus IP to build the sea floor equiment, riser equipment etc? Use it themselves or sell to the highest bidder.

Am I being too paranoid here? International IP protections must be way more complicated than my pea sized brain can contemplate, especially in midnight ruminations (after a vodka or two). Any enlightenment would be welcome. I have 6 digit skin in the game at an averaged down $0.56. So believe me - I want the numbers you all floated to be real.

it could be that all your demons will come true but they will need 2-4 years at minimum and in this time our roof will blown away and all we longs become member of the RMG... the RichMenGroup :-)

Nautilus started scouting the highest density deposits in the 1990s, I believe. Does anyone know how binding our rights are to the areas we scouted? If they are the highest density deposits and we have them locked in for at least a percentage of profits, even if another company mines them, I think we're in a really dominant position in the market.

'lorcan458' pid='58564' datel Wrote:

Nautilus started scouting the highest density deposits in the 1990s, I believe. Does anyone know how binding our rights are to the areas we scouted? If they are the highest density deposits and we have them locked in for at least a percentage of profits, even if another company mines them, I think we're in a really dominant position in the market.

The first offshore mineral exploration licenses were granted to Nautilus by PNG in 1997.  Mining leases in PNG are governed by the mining act.  You can read more about the types of leases here http://www.mra.gov.pg/en-us/license.aspx ;

The lease duration is 20 years, with additonal 10 year extension(s) possible.  Nautilus has different types of leases in PNG, including exploration and mining.  The Sol1 mining lease is good for 20 years, so the leases are not at risk due to time expiration.

Other contries such as Tonga and Fiji have similar laws, but each with their own flavor.  Part of the "project pipleline" challenge will be sequencing the mining with the future equipment builds, overlayed on each country's individual laws.

And yes, if Nautilus would choose they could bring in a partner to do the mining and they could just take a cut of the profits.  Happens quite frequently in PNG, especially in the oil & gas space, though I've never heard any indication the company would do that versus mining their tenements themselves.